Wildwater Racing International Events 2020
4th August 2020 – Updated 26th August
There are 2 remaining International events on the calendar that have been postponed in 2020. These are the Junior/U23 European Championships in Solkan, Slovenia and the World Cup event at La Seu D’urgell, Spain. GB Wildwater Racing support and attendance for these events is under continuous review and we maintain open channels with the European Canoe Association, International Canoe Federation and event organisers.
The Wildwater Racing Committee is currently preparing trip plans, risk assessments and event planning documents to provide to British Canoeing, athletes, parents and all stakeholders in our sport the necessary information to make decisions about whether or not to attend these events if they do go ahead.
Some of the main points to consider are:
- Is it possible to run safe trips?
- Is it possible to run a safe and fair selection event for the Junior/U23s?
- What will the quarantine regime be on return, if any?
- What measures are being put in place by event organisers to operate Covid safe events?
- Do date changes mean athlete and Team Management availability to attend has changed?
- Covid related travel insurance claims will not be covered.
- The team size will need to be reviewed and most likely be smaller than originally planned
As you may have already seen, BC has previously agreed not to send any International teams to events with the exception that the WWR events would be reviewed. This review is planned to take place in mid-August. If there is still support for the events then be aware that it will be continuously reviewed thereafter, meaning an agreement to proceed with selection and trip planning will not necessarily mean that the trip will actually go ahead. Both the ECA and ICF have indicated that final decisions to go ahead will be made approximately 60 days prior to the event.
Senior team for the world cup race has been completed and there are no changes to those who have been selected.
Junior and U23 Team. All athletes who registered for selection within in the previous window remain registered, it has been agreed not to reopen registration.
Here below is a timetable of notable dates:
- Ongoing – Preparation of revised Event Specific documents, Trip plans and Risk Assessments
- Mid August – BC Review
- 26th Aug (approx.) – ICF “final” event decision La Seu – (Approx 60 days before)
- 5th Sept – Ironbridge Event (Note date change)
- 8th Sept (approx.)– ECA “final” event decision Solkan
- 8th Sept – ICF numerical entry for La Seu World Cup
- 20th Sept – ECA numerical entry for Junior/U23 Euros
- 26/27th Sept – Ironbridge Selection Event
- 13th Oct – ICF entry by name for La Seu World Cup
- 23rd – 25th Oct – La Seu D’Urgell event – Spain
- 25th Oct – ECA entry by name
- 4-7th Nov – Junior/U23 Euro Champs – Slovenia
Should you have any further questions or queries feel free to email to email@example.com