Have you an interest in helping a young athlete reach their full potential ?
...With just a couple of hours a week to offer...you could be part of the next big success story!
The WWR young paddler mentoring scheme is new, and it’s exciting...
The aim is to place conscientious adults (aged over 21) with our aspiring young paddlers;to form a ‘professional friendship’. Working closely alongside the national coaches, parents and existing club coaches.
Weekly contact is structured around email, telephone or personal contact, where the paddlers lifestyle, education and of course paddling/training will be discussed, monitored and prioritised.
Always young person led, and utilising WWR and Canoe England resources, communication with parents and coaches will help formulate workable schedules to keep all aspects of the young person’s life in perspective.
Basic requirements for potential mentors...
- Previous experience of working with young people is not necessary, but a positive attitude towards young paddlers is essential!
- Geographical compatibility not vital, but occasional attendance at races or events encouraged...
- Being a great Wild Water Racer is not crucial, but wholehearted support fundamental...
- Attendance on an initial training course, one half day. Plus subsequent regular updates, (all held regionally) is required.
- A CRB (Criminal Record Bureau) check will be needed.
- Commitment and willingness to work as part of an enthusiastic team.
As part of ongoing training, attendance on the BCU mentor training module is also recommended.
Once the initial training is complete, matching with an athlete can be started.
As a new project we are looking to match approximately 12 young paddlers to begin with, intime this may well grow.